Thursday, September 8, 2016

Achilles update 2

So yesterday was an interval day, and I didn't wear my boot last night AND I didn't roll out calf. So, I suppose my non-compliance led to some initial soreness in my Achilles this morning. Nothing major, just a sign and a reminder that "getting better" is not the same thing as healed.

Just to note, yesterday's run of 2x1mi and 4x400 was in 6mm offset shoes, and was done on a track.  So, I am a tad curious if the constant turning may have aggravated it too.  Today is a slower 6.5 mi in 13mm shoes.  Will see how Achilles reacts tomorrow morning.

One thing I just recalled about the beginning of my recent turnaround. I keep going back to my shoe guy (Caleb) stating that I shouldn't have calf/soleus pain.  He believe that to be connected to the Achilles issue I was having and not a by-product.

I immediately started with foam rolling and using my stick roller. When working on the calf I noticed a particularly tender area in TWO different spots on the external part of my calf. Note the third and fourth ones in the pic below.


Why this would cause pain in my heel, I have no clue, but let's continue.  

Spot three on the lower edge was knotted. So I rolled it for a bit and then stuck the end of my roller stick (https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Tec-Athletics-Massager-Trigger-Release/dp/B00P3QPC18) right into it. It hurt quite a bit, and was sore there for a couple of days... But the knot was gone, and is still gone today. 

However today, I've discovered I'm quite tender in spot four. Same process, roll, pressure... Now soreness. Now heading out for a run. 

I'm really intrigued as to whether release of calf tension will help remedy the Achilles issues. 

Stay tuned.



No comments:

Post a Comment